Skip to main content

Featured

St. Patrick's Day Recipes 2024

Wishing you all a very Happy St Patrick's Day! Erin Go Braugh - Ireland Forever! Here are a few easy Irish recipes you may want to add to your menu: 

In My Kitchen - February 2016




It's time for another round of the very cool monthly happening called "In My Kitchen" started by Celia at Fig Jam and Lime Cordial and currently being hosted by Maureen at The Orgasmic Chef.

So here we go....

This Month in my Kitchen...



 December, January, and so far February have been tough this year...physically, emotionally, and mentally. Our car sputtered, smoked, and died on us so we needed to replace it, luckily Christmas and New Year's revived our spirits along with a trip to the beautiful NJ Orchid Show. Then it dropped like a hammer, we got word Kishore's Mom was sick in the hospital so he had to go to India and as I was waiting on my visa to join, my Dad fell ill and was taken to the hospital. We were both worried but resolved to do our best to take care of each other and our family even at different sides of the planet. It made sleeping a challenge but, it was worth it to hear the news of the day and to be comforted and reassured. Things seem to be trending towards the mend though there is still a lot to do: Amma is doing better now, Dad is recovering before scheduling surgery, and my Kishore is back.

Some of the beautiful orchids we saw at the show.



For Christmas we received some really wonderful presents. My Sister wood burned these cooking spoons for us, Abuela gave us these lovely large mugs with the promise of coffee to fill them with on her return from Costa Rica, and my Parents gave us this awesome clay multi-cooker. It has really come in handy with the cold weather and long busy days of late. It adds a great taste to rice, and does wonders on dry beans.



My kitchen timer met with an accident so it needed to be replaced, and knowing my love of mice Kishore found this cute one! 



I purchased some Rutgers grown Hazelnuts and have lots of plans for them. And Dr. Ayeni gave me some of his test crop of "Golden Tubers" aka Tiger nuts...more about them later. :)



We got two new food/cook books to work on together. One as a checklist and one to try cooking a new cuisine together.


We also have some new spices and rubs for the kitchen, our friend gave us 2 bottles of Jerk Seasoning and we bought a bottle of Sumac spice to use after reading our new book.


Cold weather here means soup and lots of bread baking, made a loaf of a family favorite Onion Dill.


Had the good fortune to connect via Instagram with Diana from Liao's Food, a hyperlocal Hot Sauce maker. She grew up in the town over from me and I'm pretty sure I've been to her father's restaurant. They make this incredibly tasty Chili Chutney. Stay tuned Review and Recipes coming soon!



We couldn't let Chinese New Year go by without my friend's famous dumpling so this year Mom got a lesson in dumpling folding.

I'd also like to remind everyone of the monthly linkup called "Food 'n Film"! February's linkup is posted and open from the 4th to the 29th, this month there is a theme "True Love" but it's not mandatory. Hope you join up! :)

I'm on Instagram! You can find me @cookingforkishore.
Feel free to instagram any recipes you try here and use #cookingforkishore.
Looking forward to hearing from you all! :)


Please make sure you stop in and take a glance at everyone else's kitchens!

So tell me...What's happening in your kitchen this month?


If you're curious here's a link to what we were up to during last year's In My Kitchen: February 2015

Comments

  1. Wow, your life has been really upside down. Great to hear that things are settling down and health is on its way to being restored for the two men in your life.

    That book sounds really interesting and I'd love the recipe for the onion dill bread.

    Thanks a lot for being part of In My Kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maureen thanks for hosting IMK, I'll post the bread recipe soon it's great with soup! :)

      Delete
  2. I love sumac and always have some in the pantry. Love the etched wooden spoons. I hope the parents are doing better now. So sad when they get older and ill. Gorgeous little mouse timer !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherry, they are on the rebound but still a ways to go. Love the flavor sumac adds to a dish, definitely a keeper. :)

      Delete
  3. Glad to hear everyone is getting a little better and hope they continue to heal. The spoons are fantastic! Chili chutney and sumac are perfect to have in the pantry, so useful to flavor up a variety of dishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gretchen, my sister is talented though I don't think she believes me when I say it. The chili chutney is awesome and it goes with and on everything! :)

      Delete
  4. Here's to good health and a less stressful remainder of 2016! The colors and flavors in this post are scrumptious. How do you use sumac? I have used it for a za'atar blend for fattoush, but not much else routinely.

    Love your mouse timer, it's SO cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers to that! Thanks Dee, I used sumac as a spice on roasted veggies; it adds a great lemony flavor. :)

      Delete
  5. So many lovely things in your kitchen, I adore the woodburned spoons from your sister - the best.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts