Skip to main content

Featured

St. Patrick's Day Recipes 2024

Wishing you all a very Happy St Patrick's Day! Erin Go Braugh - Ireland Forever! Here are a few easy Irish recipes you may want to add to your menu: 

Coconut Fish Curry w/ Yellow Pomfret


When the weather gets particularly warmer and humid, we tend to be less inclined to have heavy meals for dinner and tend more toward fish and veggies. So, this past week I stopped in at HK Supermarket and as I went to the fish counter, my favorite fishmonger excitedly came over saying, " I have something for you!" He then pointed out the beautiful yellow pomfrets on ice, to which I could only happily respond..."I'll take two!" 

The first time I had yellow pomfret was on our trip to South India...Goa in particular. After seeing those beautiful fish I felt it was only right to try a new recipe with them. This recipe is my take on one our driver in Goa described to me as his "simple favorite", a dish with a few ingredients that combined just right make it great. His description was so vivid and detailed, it was really more than a delicious recipe, it was a memory of good times watching his Grandmother prepare Sunday dinner  And honestly after trying to make what he described, we could see why! The thick, fragrant coconut sauce is paired perfectly with this fish, being flavorful without being overpowering or heavy.

Here's my recipe for Coconut Fish Curry:
Serves 4 - 6

Ingredients:
2 Yellow Pomfrets, cleaned and cut into 1"steaks
1 Medium Red Onion, chopped
1 cup Coconut Milk
2 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Tbsp Garlic Ginger paste
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Turmeric
1 tsp Ground Coriander
1 tsp Ground Cumin
1 tsp Red Chili Powder
2-3 dried Red Chilis
1 Lime
1/4 cup fresh Cilantro, chopped
Olive Oil 

Directions:

1. Lay the pomfret steak in a single layer and coat with turmeric, salt and lime juice. Rub in gently and let sit for 10-15 minutes.




2. Add ~1 Tbsp oil to a deep walled skillet and heat to medium hot. Once heated add the onions and cook till slightly golden. Then add the garlic ginger paste cook for a minute just until fragrant and then add in coriander, cumin, and chili powder. After about a minute add the coconut milk, dried chilis and vinegar. Stir well and let simmer without the lid until it starts to thicken, about 10 minutes.





3. Add the marinated fish steak and cook for 5 minutes on on side flip and another 5 minutes. Carefully stir in the cilantro, remove from heat and serve with rice.





 Serve Hot with Rice and Enjoy!


Comments

  1. Fish is my favourite in seafoods especially fored but this looks too tasty that I have added in my to-do as soon as possible list.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts