Skip to main content

Featured

20+ Simple Easter Recipes

Here are some Simple, Easy Easter Recipes you may want to add to your menu:

Green Bean Popsicles (Mung Bean)



Mung Beans, Green Gram
So I like Mung Beans...always have, they are extremely versatile, great as bean sprouts, in a sandwich, spiced and cooked, or as dosa. But I, like most other people, had only really had them in savory dishes.
So, the first time I was given a Green Bean Popsicle, I was very skeptical about how it was going to taste. You see the only sweet beans I ever had were in Moon Cakes. But my friend was insistent...You will like this! As I looked over the popsicle, I took a deep breathe, closed my eyes and took a bite...And you know what she was right, it was delicious!
On Kishore's recent return from India, Amma sent him home with 4 lbs of Dried Green Mung beans. That, in combination with the oppressive heat we've been having... Green Bean Popsicles seemed to be the way to go!

This tasty cool treat reminded me of eating frozen green peas to cool down as a kid. The slightly starchy sweet taste with a hint of coconut is perfect to cool you down on hot summer days! A tasty dessert with almost 12 grams of protein, and sugar that can easily be adjusted depending on taste.

Here is my recipe for Green Bean Popsicles:
Makes 4-6 Popsicles

Ingredients:

1/4 Cup Whole Mung Beans
2 Cups Water
1/2 Cup Coconut Water
1/8-1/4 Cup Sugar
Pinch of Salt
Other Equipment: Popsicle Mold

Prep Work:
Wash Dried Beans well, and pick out any stones.

Directions:
1.  Add Water and washed Beans. Bring to a boil, then cover and lower to a simmer.

2. Simmer until softened and easily broken, approximately 30 minutes.


3. Turn off heat and add Coconut Water, Sugar, Salt and stir well.


4. Puree in a blender and pour into molds. Freeze until solid.

Enjoy!


I have added this to My Legume Love Affair #83, hosted by Nupur at The Veggie Indian and
Lisa's Vegetarian Kitchen and Susan's The Well Seasoned Cook.




Comments

  1. I am intrigued, but whether i will give this a go is another question, but if you were offering me one I'd take it for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I understand completely Shaheen! But they really are tasty, and it's a nice shake up to savory bean dishes. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts